Thursday, January 23, 2014

Snow Day!


I can't believe it - we actually got some snow in Williamsburg!  All day long on Tuesday I checked the weather on my phone anxiously to see when it would start.  And finally, when I was out running and feeling tired and chilly and wind-chafed the flakes starting sprinkling down.  At first there were so few I thought they were just bits of leaves or seeds blowing off the tufty swamp plants near the trail, but soon it was undeniable:  beautiful, quiet, gentle snowflakes were sifting down faster and faster and thicker and thicker.  When I got home, Sophie was beside herself with glee.


While I washed dishes Tuesday night, I turned on our backyard spotlights so I could see the tiny flakes swirl outside in the wind.  There is nothing more peaceful than watching snow fall from inside a warm, cozy house. 

On Wednesday, Sophie spent a lot of the day outside running around and reveling in the snow.  She particularly enjoyed making snow angels and trying out her new sled.  


Life is really good when you are sledding for the very first time.
Even Annabelle got in on the action for a few minutes, or at least as much as she could being tightly bundled in a snowsuit and Moby wrapped within an inch of her life.

That sun was bright!  
In the afternoon, Sophie and I spent a long time cracking ice along the edges of the swamp behind the house and throwing pieces to watch them break and slide over the frozen creek.  I really enjoyed that time with my oldest daughter.  I felt so happy that she has some wilderness behind the house, just like I did when I was growing up.  If I had let her, she would have explored that wilderness to the utmost.  Preferably by sliding recklessly on the ice the whole way.

Amazing ice-scape behind our house.

Hooray for snow days!  And hooray for preschool opening again tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, snow days! It was even better because we got to talk. =) Ellen, you look beautiful and are glowing_I bet Annabelle didn't even know what to think about the cold and snow. Sammy finds it fascinating and horrifying all at the same time. lol. Did you get some more last night?

    ReplyDelete